A Message from Bill Gettys, Board President 2012-2014
Thank you for joining us tonight as we embark on our musical journey to Discover New Worlds. Music Director Daniel Meyer has prepared a remarkable 52nd season for us. I promise that these concerts will inspire and enthrall you. Concerts will include some of your favorite works along with some music that you may never have heard before. You will hear all this presented by what I believe is the best regional orchestra anywhere along with some remarkable guest artists at the cusp of their artistic careers.
Music can touch us in ways that spoken language simply cannot. I look forward to you joining me for a season of discovery, inspiration, humor and passion.
The Asheville Symphony’s mission is much more than presenting great music in a city with an unswerving commitment to the arts. We are also committed to music education for all ages from preschool through adults. This year, in cooperation with the Asheville Symphony Guild, we will present,
- Rousing Young People’s concerts in Thomas Wolfe Auditorium for about 3,000 very appreciative elementary school students
- Music in the Schools — live music for every third, fourth and fifth grader in the Asheville and Buncombe County school systems (over 6,000 students.)
- The second annual Young Artists Competition for the amazingly talented young musicians who have emerged in this arts focused region.
- A new Tiny Tots music program that employs the talents of the Asheville-Buncombe Youth Orchestra to inspire and enthrall the youngest music fans
- Scholarships for summer music camps
- Educational programs at Asheville Symphony Guild meetings
- Symphony Talk with Daniel Meyer on the Fridays before Masterworks concerts at the Reuter Center at UNC Asheville
- Chip Kaufmann’s monthly Behind the Notes programs
- Daniel Meyer’s pre-concert lectures in Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
Finally, to assure that this magnificent art form continues to engage future generations, we will redouble our efforts to make this music accessible. We will continue to present free concerts in Pack Square Park and we will undertake new initiatives to reach new audiences and fill every seat in Thomas Wolfe Auditorium.
The Board of Directors joins me in thanking you for your support through the purchase of tickets and subscriptions. We are particularly grateful for those of you who share our passion for this art and make a donation that allows us to share the joy of music with others as we Discover New Worlds together.
William L. Gettys
2013 – 2014 Board of Directors & Staff
William L. Gettys
Amy S. Kelso
G. Edward Towson, II
VP – Marketing
Michael Bates, M.D.
VP – Artistic Affairs
VP – Education
Gerald C. Kitch
VP – Finance
VP – Human Resources
David N. Whitehill
Director of Development
Sally J. Keeney
Michael J. Morel
Elisabeth P. Varner
Thomas C. Bolton
Michael S. Cortes
John P. Cuellar, III, M.D.
Doris Phillips Loomis
C. Allan Morse
George M. Bilbrey, Jr. M.D.
J.K. MacKendree Day
Joyce R. Dorr, Ph.D.
George F. Goosmann, III
Karl S. Quisenberry, Ph.D.
John J. Sherman, Jr.
W. Herbert Smith, Jr.